02 June 2008

Levels of Stupidity

Note to self: I should never have too much time on my hands. Problem is, when I do, I start thinking, and said thinking usually results in me doing stupid things.

Well, what stupidity am I thinking about doing?

I think it's about time that I attempt a race as a solo rider.

I'm not expecting miracles. In fact I'd expect to finish pretty much dead last. But I would like to finish.

I know it's not going to be easy, in fact it's going to be bloody torturous. But I imagine there would be some degree of satisfaction once it's over.

So... to find a race. I think a 6 hour would be about where I should start. Something with not a huge amount of climbing per lap. I'm gonna need some serious lead time to get myself into something resembling race condition (that's a bit of a sick joke), so I guess I should be looking for something in Aug/Sep/Oct. Time for a hunt about.

I have found something rather interesting - Merida MTB Marathon Training Plan - I went through and read it last night. To simplify, it is a 17 week training plan, with 4 week blocks for base fitness, pre-season building, early season trading, and peak training, and each 4 week block is divided into starting, building, pushing and recovery phases.

Looks good & I'm gonna give it a crack I reckon. I should probably document my training on here, for my own personal shaming if I come off the rails.

So here it goes:

Today: rest (easy!)
Tues: 60 min easy spin ride.
Wed: Rest
Thurs: 45 min easy spin ride.
Fri: Rest
Sat: 2 hour ride, rolling hills, no huge efforts
Sun: 30 minute time trial - use as benchmark for future improvements.

Shall we see if I can stick to the program?

No comments: