07 May 2008

Reap What You Sow

Got up uber-early this morning for a road loop with two mates of mine, Tim & Al.

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been 7 days since I've sat on a bicycle seat.

And didn't I pay for it! Started out well, some rolling hills, some flat, just tapped away. Until the first real climb. Apparently I'm not in great shape at the moment. Hang on, let's be honest. I'm never in great shape. But it must be worse than usual at present.

Tim and Al pulled away up the climb, out of the saddle and in the big ring. I was down to granny, and struggling. Crested the hill and the world started spinning. Off the bike, head down, thinking that things are about to take a fairly comprehensive turn for the worse. Heart rate up to 185 (not max HR but close enough to)

I couldn't get back on the bike for about 10 min. Went white as a ghost, got the cold sweats going and all.

Finally nursed my way back into the saddle and kept rolling (alot slower). Eventually got back into my groove, but I was only running at 50%, if that. Rolled home in 2 1/2 hours, 60km.

Now I could understand this, if I'd just climbed Buffalo or similar. But this was a piddling little hill! WTF?!

Hopefully this little trend doesn't continue. More time in the saddle needed.

No comments: