12 April 2008

Next Stop: ???

Well, it's official. I am now un-em-ployed.

Odd. I've been waiting for this day for months, and now it arrives, I don't quite know how to feel. My mind is telling me that it's just another weekend, that I've got to go back to work on Monday, and that nothing has changed.

I guess the test will be Monday morning, when the alarm doesn't go off, and I'm not rushing around preparing myself for another day of selling my soul.

The last week has been pretty disjointed. Thursday, my (ex) boss announced that he was consolidating the business, and selling the (very successful) department I was running to our major competitor. That completely blind sided me, and the guys working for me. Sale to take place in a fortnight.

So the last couple of days were spent in damage control, working out exactly how the transfer will take place. Reassuring staff that they will still have jobs (just not with the company they chose to work for), and starting to tell clients.

Officially it's not my problem anymore, but I certainly feel guilty walking away knowing the upheaval that they're about to face. The master plan was to walk away with the business in perfect condition, knowing that the staff I was leaving behind would continue on with the legacy they helped create.

Anyway, I've done what I can to make sure it goes as hassle free as possible. Beyond that it's out of my control. I just need to let go.

On the cycling front - 2 rides thus far this week. Wed night MTB through Nail Can, great fun until Timmy's light failed. He was given the option of taking my helmet (with AYUP mounted) and I'd use my bar light only, or riding home via the firetrails, or continuing on and hoping for the best.

Hmm, I'll take Option 3, he said. So we put some pace on and gave him a test or two. Result? Over the bars twice. Can't say we didn't warn him...

And bunch road ride this morning. Was hoping to get 100+ km before next weekend's idiocy. Wodonga - Barny - Chiltern - Mt Pilot - Wooragee. Got dropped by the bunch up the Mt Pilot climb, they graciously waited at the top. By the time we hit the Beechworth-Wodonga Rd, I was completely stuffed and the tank was empty. Rather than slog back to town, Tim and I opted to head into Yack, straight to the bakery, 1 pie, 1 donut, 2 coffees, and then call his wife for an emergency pick up. So ended up with 81km. Not bad, but not what I had hoped for either.

So yearly km's hovering perilously close to four figures. Next week will be a biggun, I'm going to try for 2 big rides prior the weekend, and then finish the 100km without turning into a sobbing, blubbering mess.

Let's see how I go with that...

No comments: