30 January 2011

1 Down, 11 To Go

January is nearly over. And despite my best intentions that this was going to be 'the year', nothing has really changed for me - yet.

I had a rude shock yesterday, jumped on the scales after 2 weeks in Adelaide (where I thought I was *reasonably* well behaved) they have reported back the highest number I have seen in 2 years. That was super scary, 8kg heavier than by best result last year (about a month before we went OS) - the dreaded kilogram creep has struck - combine less of a commute to work with a more sedentary job, and more club stuff, hence less time to ride, and the results were, shall we say, alarming.

So I need to get back on the wagon.

The plan? Still in formulation. But more riding would appear to be a no-brainer. Just need to scheme a way for it to happen - I'm trying plan a sneaky plan that involves depositing a weeks worth of clothing at work on a weekend, then riding in the mornings pre-work, and rolling up for a shower and straight to my desk.

I'm having a close look at the Mark Fenner training plans as well, they are quite well structured and could be an excellent option.

But - eating needs to get back under control, time to wind back the beer intake, and just be sensible. I know I can do it, I just need to do it.

Anyhoo - back to Jan, I just ran the stats for the month. I knew it was going to be an ordinary month for me bike-wise, but it wasn't the bloodbath that I expected.

I rode 419km, 20:19 in the saddle, and climbed 5738 metres. Kilometres ok-ish, would have liked more, a couple more hours saddle time each week would be good, but that climbing figure seems pretty good! There was one big 2000m ride in there, and a couple of hilly rides @ Buller, so it will be interesting to see how other months stack up against it.

Stay tuned...

No comments: