13 May 2009

Reliving my Misspent Youth

I'm very much looking forward to this weekend. I'm off to Bendigo, going to attend the 'Groovin the Moo' festival.

Music has always been a pretty big part of my life - countless hours spent listening to JJJ either at work or in the car, (I spent about 5 years as a road warrior, so the car stereo and I developed a very close relationship). Since the advent of iTunes and the iPod, there is pretty much music running around the house 24-7 - or at least when Els isn't home (she can't stand my taste in music - but that's another story)

Anyway - up until this year, I had attended every Big Day Out festival since about 1996 (except for 1 year), and have tried to keep up and see live bands where possible (not always easy in the thriving metropolis of Albury). I got a little jaded with the BDO scene, and didn't make the trip this year. Too many young people, too expensive, the bands not to my taste, la di da. I decided to go to Adelaide and TDU instead.

But GITM piqued my interest - especially with Hilltop Hoods playing, and De La Soul. I am very much looking forward to seeing them - they always feature very highly on any of my playlists, and they have the added advantage of having a certain degree of nostalgia - hence the misspent youth reference.

I saw HH last time they did the GITM tour (in Albury, nearly 3 years ago) and it would rate as one of the best gigs I have seen, ever, period. I saw them again at the BDO 2 years ago, and they sucked. So they've got a bit to live up to this time. Hopefully the smaller arena and crowd will produce a better show.

And to top it all off, Muscles is doing the closing DJ set for the night. By then I should be suitably inebriated, and will have had an awesome day.

And the best bit of the weekend - it's a bit of a reunion tour. Catching up with some friends that I haven't seen for a while - and with the terrible three of myself, Timmy, and Mike, it's bound to be a great weekend.

Bring it on, I say!

No comments: